Friday, March 09, 2007

Normal people.




I wonder if this is what normal people do with their Friday evenings? Have I finally discovered what people do? That is, those people who have bank accounts and creative needs that are not reliant upon going to play the piano or organ.

Oddly enough, on the way to a rehearsal recently, I sat on the train watching people, as I often do. All different, yet all doing the same. All wanting to be home on a Friday evening. Some were chavvy; some were in a couple; some were gay; most were straight; some looked smelly; some looked ugly; some were totally beautiful; some had eyes that I wanted to collect and watch and look into in my own time; one man was ordering a chinese takeaway and wanted to be known as 'JP' because he had a 'difficult Finnish name'. All of them were mostly quiet. But the train was not quiet. Their thoughts were shooting and ricocheting around the carriage. I couldn't hear, but at the same time I could hear - it was claustrophobic. Isn't it wierd how much mental energy working in dissonance is almost louder than the noise of awful pubs.

I'm quiet glad of my friday evening. My flat is empty apart from me and my bottle of red wine, and my thoughts are not inhibited by noise of other mentality - I feel relaxed.

Perhaps I should have or share 'normal' friday evenings more often?

JL

No comments: